Sunday, July 03, 2011

Day 2 - Seoul

Right, the work week that I had + long travel = sleep in.

Well, not quite right. I did wake up at 9am to sample the hotel's buffet breakfast. It was quite disappointing to be honest so I ate and then I went back upstairs to book my accommodation in Jeju Island and do some research on climbing Mt Halla, which is apparently the highest point in South Korea.

I met up with a colleague for lunch and she took me to eat some Ginseng chicken soup at a famous restaurant in the Myeongdong area. The queue was quick and we very quickly had two bowls in front of us. The Koreans believe in eating really hot food when it's really hot. Ginseng and BBQ was my option and seeing that I was already sweating heaps, I chose the Ginseng chicken.


It was delicious. The name of the restaurant is in Korean in the picture above (see the cover over the spoon). The English name I found out was "Chicken restaurant".

After lunch, my colleague decided to take me to try some local tea. I ordered a tea called "U-jien" since it sounded like my name. It was very strong green tea which I didn't really like. BUT...the green tea tiramisu was to die for. Delish!



By the time we finished lunch and tea, it was already 4pm+ and my colleague had to go somewhere so I wandered around Myeongdong in the hot, humid overcast weather and then made my way back towards my hotel. The hotel is uphill (very steep hill) from the subway to the hotel and by the time I reached my room, I had probably lost back whatever I gained from the tiramisu. :)

I decided to take a quick nap before making my way to the hotel lounge for evening cocktails. Problem was I slept till I was way past cocktail time and into 9pm territory. Wow. All that lost sleep during the week finally caught up on me but hey, I'm on holiday so who cares? So what do I do this late? I walked around and found a McDonalds with of course, my favourite bulgogi burger. Don't knock it back until you try one. :)

Yes, I know the blog is about food so far but that's pretty much all I've done! Just chillin' and eatin'.

Hopefully I'll have more to write tomorrow.

Eug.

1 comment:

Zoya said...

green tea tiramisu!?!?! My two favourite things combined into one -> I'll have to add it to my list of things to try before I die.