Monday, October 02, 2006

Singapore here I come...

Sigh...that's it...had to finally say goodbye to Melbourne yesterday and start a new(-ish) life in Singapore. I'll miss the coffee, the beer, my mates...ah well, if I don't try, I'll never know! Damn it, a tear almost came out as I said goodbye to Greg and Tanya but hey, us boys/men don't cry!

Anyway...the flight was good as it usually is with Singapore airlines or any other Asian airlines. I am greeted with a friendly smile, a hot towel and courteous air stewardesses. Qantas still has a lot to learn. Makes me wonder how on earth they end up second on Skytrax's best airline of the year and British Airways was first! I discovered why Pokemon is so addictive...well, it is! I innocently clicked on "Games", then "Pokemon" and six hours later I had to shut it down because we were landing! Arrrrggghh!!! Now I have to go out and buy the damn console game.

And if I thought the flight was good, the service after the flight was even better. The hotel staff were waiting at the gate for me and walked me to immigration so I could go through formalities. Then outside waiting just for me was a very nice shiny black, probably new Mercedes. I get in the car and there's a hot towel waiting with a bottle of water. Man! I can learn to enjoy this. :-) And to top it off, there was another hotel staff waiting for me with my room keys and registration details when we arrived. She took my up to my room, I signed the rego form and my bags arrived. All done! Not bad hey? And my room is huge too! (photos to come later)

One thing though...opening a balcony here is not like opening a balcony in Melbourne. In Melboure, I expect nice cool fresh air to hit me when I open the balcony door. Over here, I get this blast of hot air as if it's fresh off a furnace or something. I definitely appreciate the air-conditioning here (my new best friend).

And and...when I turned on the telly, voila! It's a Spurs soccer match broadcast LIVE from England. Can't top that! At least it's a great start and makes it easier to get used to being on my own here.

Anyway...there's nothing else much to write about today. I've met my new boss who's quite a nice guy. I'm walking around Suntec city and it's giant water fountain which is reputedly the biggest water fountain in the world. There's just shopping malls everywhere here. Miles and miles of it so for my friends who love shopping...

Gotta go search for a cheap air ticket back to Malaysia. I keep thinking of the curry laksa place in Kuantan. Catch ya later!

chet

No comments: