As I mentioned in my last posting, I went to Jakarta last week or was that two weeks ago? It's my first time there and first impression? Cars, cars, cars! For a city with 13 million people, it's got more than 4 million cars! I can imagine if I were a road toll operator there, I'll be rich! Of course, with that many cars, there are just traffic jams everywhere. It's even worse than Bangkok which I always thought was the worse chog-a-blog (no pun intended) city I have ever visited.
Jakarta is also quite polluted. I couldn't really appreciate the view from the plane because I couldn't see anything. It's quite different to somewhere like Bali for example. Definitely not a tourist destination.
One thing I've learned from travelling for my new job is that it's not like travelling domestically within Australia. I'm always been a last minute person but (touch wood) I've always been able to time my run to the airport perfectly. In Australia, I show up about 20 mins before my flight which leaves me enough time to check-in via the kiosks, go through security and get to the gate. For short trips, I always have carry on baggage. From Singapore, every flight is international unless it's some ridiculous flight from Changi to Paya Lebar (my apartment is unfortunately in the approach path to Paya Lebar airport) of which there is none. It'll be quicker to drive and Paya Lebar airport is an air force base if I'm not mistaken. I missed a certain George dubba-lew Beaver's landing in his giant fortress the other day. He landed at the air force base. Would have been cool to capture Air Force one's underbelly.
Anyways, back to my original point. I almost missed my flight because I miscalculated the time required to check-in. Fortunately, I didn't but the panic....And of course when I got to Jakarta, had to wait 40 minutes to get pass immigration. I really need to make my APEC travel card soon. The counter is always empty i.e. no queue.
Oh yeah, since we're on the topic of flying, I've always dreamt of flying my own plane one day. Well, I've been doing some research and I've found a school just across the causeway at Senai airport in Johor Bahru. Only problem is how I do get myself there?? I want to get my PPL one day. Fingers crossed, I'll be able to fly myself home from Singapore. I reckon it'll be cheaper than paying the exorbitant fares that Malaysia Airlines and Singapore Airlines charge for me to go back to Malaysia. I wish both governments will open up the route to more competition. Did you know it's cheaper for me to fly to KL via Bangkok on Air Asia than a direct flight?? That's twice the distance for half the fare!
Now back to Jakarta, I was put up at Hotel Mulia which is very nice indeed. The photos you see on their

My room

Desk

Bathroom with funny shower thing. I couldn't work out how it's meant to be used but it was certainly not nice to have six jets shooting high pressure water on you!!

Jakarta Sentral from my room (Central Jakarta if you can't work it out!)

You can see the little car checkpoint leading to the entrace of the hotel. It's the bit that's covered on the left hand side.
Security is extremely heavy in Jakarta. Every hotel and shopping centre has a checkpoint where they inspect every car that wants to enter. They get the driver to pop the boot, look at the undercarriage with a mirror, etc. the works. And when I get to the hotel entrace, I have to open each of my bags before I have to walk through the airport metal detector thing-a-magic and finally into the lobby and reception area. Whew! I guess with all these bombs going off and current US policy (which I hope will change soon with the democrats in control now), you can't be too safe. What a life though, not knowing when one is going to hit. The question I have though it how effective these measures are? I saw in the news the other day that another one went off in an A&W restaurant. Lucky it didn't kill anyone except the bomber himself. Hmm...I'm just reading an email alert about a terrorist alert in southern India. I'm going to Bangalore in a few weeks! *fingers crossed*
BTW, I noticed when I went to the toilet that the people here don't wash their hands after they've taken a piss or done the big 'un. Makes me think twice before shaking hands now. :-)
I had to go through another 90 minute traffic jam affected taxi ride to the airport again so I decided to chalk up a discussion with the cabbie and practice my bahasa. Heh heh...I think he was glad we were at the airport after enduring that. It's easier for an Indonesian to understand Bahasa Malaysia rather than the other way. I think I was mind boggled when one of our clients starting blabbing away in Bahasa Indonesia with his accent, ten thousand miles per second vocal speed and slang. I must admit I'm quite suprised that I still remember a lot of my Bahasa though. I just need to work on my vocab now and maybe a little grammar.

Oh yeah, I found this message at the departure gate at Soekarno Hatta airport in Jakarta - hee hee
"Our signal's very strong. Make sure you switch off your phone before boarding".
I think the meaning is clear enough. Just the delivery...
I'll stop here tonight. I have more to write but I'm just too tired and there's soccer on TV.
chet
No comments:
Post a Comment