But, I HAD to try the mushrooms so I ordered the dish at a staggering $28 wondering how many pieces of the mushroom I'll get. So guess what? They deep-fried the bugger! EEEARRGGHHH!!! HOW CAN THEY DO THAT TO THE MUSHROOM!!!! I can't tell the natural Matsutake mushroom taste for which it's famed. Makes me wonder if it's a con job design to hide the fact that there is no Matsutake mushrooms in Singapore considering they sell for about US$2000 a kilo in Japan. Whatever it is, there was only about eight very thin slices and deep fried till you can't taste anything but oil and batter. GRRR....
I have some pictures but I wonder if I should even show it at all! Ah what the heck...you can't see the pharking mushrooms but you can sure see the fish which in this picture looks more like a spreadeagled (pardon the pun) chicken!

Anyway...I had an interesting weekend. I was walking down Orchard Road the other day after visiting Kinokuniya when some teenage high school girl decided to hound me to answer some survey questions. I thought "Alright! Anything to get her off my back". Turns out I get a scratch-it and win thingamagic if I'm eligible i.e. single, no attachments, have a credit card, etc. My ear drums were close to shattering when said teenage girl became overly excited at spotting the red star on my scratch-it thingamagic. Turns out I won myself a 7-night hotel stay and all I had to do was sit a one hour presentation (read "time-share" scam) at some local travel club. It also turns out the said teenage high school girl was so excited because she gets SGD$150 if she can get someone with a red star scratch-it thingamagic to sit for the entire session. The said teenage high school girl then offered to buy me coffee after the presentation for winning her SGD$150 to which I gave a negative response. I certainly don't think I like being labelled a paedophile and sitting in some Singapore jail for the next decade or so.
And so I sat there for an hour (foolishly? I don't know) and try as he did, the sales guy could not con me into joining the travel club for SGD$25,000 for a 25 year membership. And then he pissed me off by dropping it to SGD$10,000 after I said no the first time. Does this mean he was going to pocket an extra $15,000 if I didn't say no?? Anyway I was resolute and left him a frustrated man, took my free gift and split! The voucher is real but upon further inspection, I found this line in the Ts&Cs, "You may be obliged to attend a presentation during your stay" or something along those lines. DOOOOH! Does this mean I'll get hounded again during my free stay? Did I just waste an hour of my time for nothing??
So...where do I want to go? My choices: Gold Coast, Bangkok, Bali, somewhere on the Canary Islands, or Lisbon?? I don't know....

chet
1 comment:
Hey Eug, you will have to sit through a presentation during the stay but it's still worth it to get a nice hotel for something like US$100 in a nice location. As long as you set your expectations right before you go, it's not a bad deal. Not as good as they promise but not as bad as it could be - it's how I spent 2 weeks in a nice resort in Goa a couple of years back :-)
Julia
Post a Comment