Sunday, April 01, 2007

Good one...

I read this in the Star Newspaper today (URL: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/4/1/nation/17319422&sec=nation&focus=1). I found it amusing as the article was about the Bar council of Malaysia complaining non-lawyers were using their Bar Council emblems on cars to show or pass off as 'real' lawyers. Haha...I wonder what happens to lawyers who don't own cars?

But reading on, I found this, "Some lawyers said there were cases of non-lawyers being let off by police with only verbal warnings after being stopped for minor traffic offences."

And then I found this quote, “When I asked one of them why he did that, he said, 'Good-ma, can avoid saman (summons)!' Once I was in a lawyer friend's car before and when we were stopped by a policeman, the cop saw the sticker and asked what we were doing and then just said, 'Okay, okay, go, go',”

Malaysian lawyers who are above the law? I leave it to your own conclusions... And sad to hear that there are lawyers out there who like to show off their profession by sticking something on the front bumper of their car. Sigh...

chet

P.S. No, this is not an April fool's joke.
P.P.S. Damn...forgot today is April fool's day...now what trick can I do? :-)

No comments: