Monday, December 17, 2007

Some of the delicacies of Brisbane and Melbourne

Hey all, I'm back in Singapore now. Completely off on a tangent but I managed to book myself on Singapore Airline's new 777-300ER aircraft with their new economy class. I must say very nice and comfortable. I actually had a good sleep for almost the entire flight! Comfort really makes a difference because the flight arrived at 5.30am this morning and here I am in the office and ready to wor....wait a min....is that a good thing??

There was plenty of width (esp for a guy like me) and plenty of leg room. The screen is a whole 10.6 inches (I made the mistake of telling Whitty it was 11.1") and there was plenty of movies to choose from. As we boarded the plane, I caught a glimpse of the first class seats - they look even better but we'll leave that one for next time eh? ;-) Check out the webpage at the Singapore Airlines website - the photos are actually true for once. :-)

Forgot to take pictures for most of the food but you guys hiding in London and Berlin will know what I'm talking about or you can use your imagination. A sample list of what I ate while I was in Australia:
  • French onion soup at the Sofitel and beef burger - they know how to make a good onion soup but the burger sucked big time
  • Ham and cheese toasted sandwich with a large cappuccino - yummy!
  • Three cheese mussels at the Belgian Beer Cafe in Brisbane
  • Pub crawl which lasted till 3.30am in the morning - tried some drinks in this cocktail place in Fortitude Valley - absolutely fantastic cocktails! It's on the corner of Ann and Brunswick Streets
  • Some sort of rocket pasta with rocket salad on the side at a restaurant opposite the Brisbane office - quite nice but they overloaded the shaved parmesan on the salad (who complains about more cheese anyway??)
  • Big juicy steak at the Blue Train cafe in Southgate - yum yum
  • PIZZA at Cafe Corretto - went for the typical large Aussie with anchovies - jealous Jack? :-)
  • Brunetti's coffeeeee - yuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Squid salad at La Camera - nothing special
  • More beer in the old office
  • Deep fried goat's cheese ball with more rocket salad followed by Mediterranean chicken curry on cous-cous and a berry cake - yummy but pricey
  • Absolutely gorgeous eggs Benedict at Whitty and Tanya's fav breakfast place (I can't seen to remember the name!) - see pix below
  • Vietnamese beef noodles - great stuff as usual and I almost forgot to eat it this trip!!
  • Typical Aussie BBQ at Ben and Nicole's joint birthday celebration - lots of meeeaaattt
  • Big breakfast at what is now called the Town Hall Restaurant (used to be Spargos) on Bridge road - three cappuccinos is testament to the quality of coffee :-) They use Genovese coffee which is one of my favourite
  • More Vietnamese noodles - dry egg noodles with pork and shrimp in Tinh Tinh on Victoria street. Yummy as usual
  • Finally, we went hunting for kebabs and souvlakis but the preferred shop had sold out by 8.45pm!! Argh... So we went to Alasya and ordered meat, meat, meat and meat and oh yeah, some dips (hommus, tsatsiki, baba ghanoush) with freshly baked Turkish bread. Tried some Russian potato salad and it sucked big time. *Hint hint* to Zoya.... Some photos below
Some pictures:

The eggs Benedict - beautiful! No bacon required! :-)

Whitty looked up from his delish breakfast just long enough for me to this picture

Tanya in her own world while enjoying her eggs Benedict

La classique tarte viande - complete with tomato sauce and orange juice

Doner kebab, chicken kebab, mixed grill - enough meat for you guys??

Said meat being consumed by yours truly

Back to work now. My initial energy is starting to drain away quickly!

chet

3 comments:

Polina said...

stop! stop!! you're already making me waaay to jealous... *sigh* I can't wait 'till August when we'll be in Melb

Eug said...

burp! it's been 2 days and I'm still full from that dinner with the kebabs and dips...

Funny thing is I never used to like dips especially hormus. But now I like tzatziki (sp?) a lot. Still can't stand them vine leaf wrapped stuff though. Yuk!

At least you'll be back in August - looks like my next trip will probably be 2009!

Yin said...

jealoussssssssssssss!!

Next time remember to ajak me ;)