Monday, January 14, 2008

Plastic bags, plastic bags, arghhhh

I went to Isetan supermarket and bought 10 items today and I wasn't paying attention as the cashier punched and bagged my things. They say a picture tells a thousand words...

Count 'em - ten items that can fit in ONE plastic bag

How many you say? (and yes, the unmarked one is also from Isetan!)

When will they learn?? And this is a great big giant Japanese chain...I thought they should know better??? The sad thing is everyone thinks there's no problem here. "I can use it as a spare garbage bag." "It's convenient." (as compared to having to carry your own grocery bag)

And yes, it's my bad - I wasn't planning on grocery shopping but decided to cook dinner tonight and bought the stuff (Sukiyaki beef anyone?)

chet

2 comments:

exponent said...

It IS sad that going grocery shopping in Singapore can be tantamount to an act responsible for that freaky weather or that hole in the sky getting bigger.

And it's not limited to just that Japanese department store. *exasperated*

Eug said...

Yep agreed. I think there's a general excuse that the plastic bags can be 'recycled' as rubbish bags in the home. I reckon it's wrong though - most people will probably find their plastic bags are full of holes after they come back from the supermarket. And what about the case where there's too many plastic bags at home to use them up?? They end up throwing 'em away!

One would think the government could do more about this. I notice there isn't many (if any) recycling bins in most apartment blocks in Singapore. Why not make it mandatory? Is it because there are no recycling facilities in Singapore?