Monday, February 18, 2008

And round Singapore we go?

OK not quite. :-) What was planned for Saturday was a round the island bike ride starting at 3pm. What happened was a 4.30pm start, three bike shop stops, a dinner stop and only an 85km smaller 'loop' ride around Singapore. Argh - I was looking forward to the round island ride.

But it's still good to know that my legs are OK and not at all sore although there are chaffed bits of skin here and there. I've also gotten round to lubricating my bike joints as the sounds it was making at the end of the ride was like a piglet in distress.

The route for those who are interested:


Red - Mini 'round' Singapore (85km+)
Blue - Geylang to Sembawang to Geylang (40km+)
Yellow - Geylang to Changi Beach to Geylang (35km+)





The ride was quite nice with an eventful ending (another #@($* taxi nearly ran over my friend because the driver was only looking right when he joined the road and my friend had just cycled past him). There are certain sections like Lim Chu Kang which are just so nice and quiet considering your ears can ache from the noise in the city area especially the south where there are lots of trucks with shipping containers. I didn't realise there are parts of Singapore where there's hardly any buildings and lots of greenery and judging by the stench in the air, a garbage dump somewhere nearby. It's also in these parts that you notice the so called 'worker's quarters' for foreign blue collars. They only look slightly better than squatter houses if you ask me. The things that any other day to day citizen don't really see.

There's also the cafe we passed by called Poison Ivy. Not exactly an enticing name for a food joint? Unfortunately (or fortunately) it was closed. We stopped by at a food centre place around the Kranji area for dinner. It was quite nice and cheap! Imagine SGD3 bak-kut-teh. BUUUT...the guy had ran out of food...arggghhhh. I ordered sweet and sour pork and a Chinese cabbage stir fry to eat with rice. Yummy! No photos taken - I completely forgot.

One of the things I did do at the bike shop was to finally buy a pair of gloves (it only took me 5 mins unlike the girls and their jerseys...snore city). Now I don't have to worry about blisters on my hands. Who would have thought one could get blisters on the palms of my hands from riding?

chet

1 comment:

Polina said...

cool! Riding is awesome! I keep on thinking I'll try riding to uni and back in summer. It's about 12km's one way, so I guess not too bad. The only thing is, is that it's riding on majour roads... so prolly will have a couple of incidents like yours with the taxi :(