Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Back from Brunei

Just flew back from Bandar Seri Begawan, the capital of Brunei. Interesting culture - super laid back (oxymoron?) and nothing ever gets done here. I guess when things are too comfortable in life, one does not strife for perfection or to progress? I won't elaborate more.

I got a chance to visit the Empire Hotel, a government sponsored hotel that doesn't make money (apparently it's revenue can only cover about 20% of the costs) It is HUGE!! I've taken a few photos from my camera phone inside the hotel. We went at night so can't take any night shots outside. They have this giant, giant salt water swimming pool complete with sandy bottom outside. I've never seen a bigger swimming pool in my life. No photos taken but you can see them on the website link above.

Pics are a bit blurry but hopefully you can judge the size of this place. These pics are all taken in the hotel lobby only!

The lobby just as walk in - notice how there's not many people? (this was 8pm)

Going down the first escalator - still no one around...

Big, big, giant column

That column was one of several supporting this really high ceiling. Reminds me a bit of some of the buildings in Vegas but much, much more classy here!

The hotel will make a nice weekend retreat since Brunei is not far from Singapore but....it doesn't serve alcohol! Brunei is a Muslim country and therefore only foreigners are allowed to bring in a limited supply for personal consumption. Ironic thing is you can apparently go for a one hour drive to the Malaysian border and get SGD$1 beer (water costs SGD$1.30 at the border). :-) Any takers?? I forgot to mention this hotel has one of the best golf courses in South East Asia so you golfies might like it.

chet

No comments: