Sunday, April 13, 2008

Dinner 1st night in Penang

Hello again! Second posting for the day. I decided to walk down the main street here to search for food. Most of the shops were closed (6pm) and guess what? The first open shop I find is a Teochew Porridge place! Arrghh...where I live in Singapore, there's a teocheow porridge shop every block!

I persevered a little and found a nice little side street with lots and lots and lots of hawker stalls. Cha ching! This then, is dinner for tonight:

Pork satay - can't really get this anywhere else. Satay is usually chicken or mutton. The Penang style seems to have some vinegar in the peanut sauce. A bit weird but interesting.
OK OK...I bought 15 sticks! Not just four!
Muachi - sweet glutinous rice balls covered in crushed peanuts. Very nice.... :-)
Apom manis - best way to describe, it's like a mini pancake made from rice flour batter with a filling consisting of coconut milk, eggs and sugar. Also very nice but very filling!

And wash it all down with my complimentary Perrier water in the hotel...can't get better than this. :-) Of course if it was San Pellegrino instead of Perrier, it can be BETTER! :-) I can't move my arse out of this chair right now. Too full!

Took this photo as I walked along the main street. Sign of the new covering up the old? I'm referring to the big giant sign boards that cover the second floor windows. Usually the upstairs of the shophouses are where the owners live.

Sign of new covering old?

chet (burp!)

No comments: