Sunday, August 09, 2009

Bad English

I know my English is not perfect and I still get my grammar wrong occasionally but this just irritated me till no end last night at the movies:

"Attention! Attention! The 9.40pm Up movie left only first four rows. The 9.40pm Up movie left only first four rows."

And she proceeded to list out all the other movies, blaring over the very, very loud (think jet engine loud) speakers. I was starting to climb the wall before the announcer finally shut up.

And then I proceeded to the scheduled 9.40pm movie only for it to start at 10.05pm. Now why on earth will I want to pay $$ to go sit down and watch ads for 25 minutes? I should start charging back the cinemas for my time wasted!

Also, another thing I notice about Singaporeans (maybe I'm just being anal here) is with the word "purchase". How would you pronounce it? They like to say "pur" as in a "purring kitten", and "chase" as in "chase him down the street". They do this on every Singapore Airlines flight when they announce their duty free shopping and almost every Singaporean of my acquaintance. Singlish = Mangle-ish? To back myself up here, www.dictionary.com has a pronunciation feature: "purchase" [pur-chuhs]. Click on the link.

chet

1 comment:

Zoya said...

I go to the movies about once a year nowadays, but last time we went I was shocked how long the ads went though (I think it was about 20 minutes of totally stupid ads, which were also pretty irrelevant to the most of the Star Trek audience)