I have been in training this week and there's a local guy here that has a baaaaad case of Singlish! OMG, how can he be speaking English when I can't even understand what he's talking about?? Or maybe it's just me? Nah...can't be...the instructor (American) has no idea what he's talking about either! It goes something like this (I can't quote exactly because it's just too hard) "Ahh this software component ahh, why it work like that ah? If like that, cia lat. Can do meh?" Don't forget to accentuate properly. Compredo? I think to me and the American instructor, it sounds more like "wvo wqia software component oiu, asi ie work lkjs ioqa aj. If oijf pdaj, as lie. Can do oie."
I don't mean to be harsh but it can be irritating/annoying and I wonder what any common English speaker will think? Singlish has permeated all the way to local politicians, doctors, scientists, etc. I was watching the news the other day where they were interviewing a local doctor. Again, the accent was so heavy, I had to concentrate hard to understand him. If this was a global audience, what would they think?
Like someone mentioned, at first it was 'cool' to sound different and then when it became endemic, was it really still unique or just plain embarrassing?
For those of you who want to read up more on Singlish, there's a Wiki article (or two). So my question for you guys (the Ps and Js and Zs and Js) after reading the Wiki, is Singlish unique or a put on? I'm not trying to demean anyone but want to hear some thoughts.
chet
1 comment:
Singlish - Possibly army trained english to confuse the rest of the world when in combat.
Si Mie? Tio Boh?
Malaysians has their encryption code too - the lah, loh, lor, leh, etc. can form 5000 words in the dictionary.
Ngam moh? Yalor.. Dont understand ar? Use the enigma machine lah!
Post a Comment